Something an artist always contends with is deciding when a piece of art is finished. I could spend a lot more time in Mudbox tweaking and perfecting but I need to call it a day on the sculpting. I am really impressed with mudbox and feel I have taken to it quickly but it really isn’t that difficult. Although like all of these fantastic programs there is much much more to learn and am about to tackle painting on my textures using Mudbox.

The main areas that I needed and wanted to use Mudbox, was for the back and the face of my dragon fly.

I know they are not perfect but I think I did pretty well. I couldn’t find a picture of the back of a Dragonhunter only other species but they all seemed to follow a similar pattern.

I am really happy with how the face has turned out, I was really dubious about how I was going to go about it but I left it one of the last things to do so I could get used to the sculpting tools. I think the face and the wings will be one of the most important features of the insect as they are very distinct to the dragonfly.

I found the freeze tool very handy in creating the shapes I wanted to ‘extrude’. I could isolate the areas I did and didn’t want to work on.

Examining the body of the dragonfly, it looked like there where panels of like armour plates on the ‘pterothorax’ (main body). These were easy to add in using Mudbox.

The legs were a bit of a challenge, I needed to add some spikes and ridges. But because of the polly count it was proving a bit difficult. I tried ‘grabbing the geometry and pulling out spikes, that didn’t seem to do anything. Used the sculpt tool to add geometry, but you could see the pollys extruding in an odd fashion, like blocks. I tried the foam tool and that worked much better and gave the desired effect.

Time to texture now.

Advertisements