The previous tests I had done with he wing textures unfortunately in the end didn’t help. There are a few reasons for this the main one being the mesh was all in one. This meant I couldn’t add a blinn (shinny shader) to the wings with out it affecting the rest of the model. I tried selecting only the faces I wanted it to be applied to with no success. I tried to detach the wings from the model but got some really ugly results.

Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 19.59.30

The diffuce map transformed into a faint mess of colours. I thought it might be because the wings needed to be UV’d again because they had been detached but it didn’t resolve it. I think it was because it confused the link between Mudbox and Maya with the displacement and diffuse maps. So I had to scratch the idea of using different shaders and layered shading. The next plan of action was to add them to the UV map by applying an alpha channel to get the transparency.

At this point I could solve two problems texturing the wings and some messy UV’s.

ugly geom

If you know me, you will know how difficult I find UV mapping and i had a real problem with mapping the joints of the wings and the outcome wasn’t ideal for texturing, especially in Mudbox.

badUV's

So I re mapped the wings and updated the map in Mudbox without a hitch.

newwinguv

It was then quite simple to get the wings onto the UV map and add an alpha channel.

Default Material_Flattened_Diffuse

I didn’t worry to much about making the wings fit inside the UV’s in Photoshop, instead I moved around the Uv’s in the UV editor to fit the shape of the wing.

If I hadn’t the wings would have looked a jagged mess.

Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 18

One thing I didn’t like was the fact that the wings looked doubled up, when the alpha was applied because the wings were  in two layers and you could see through to the bottom layer. I should have done the wings as one plane.

Screen shot 2012-12-01 at 11.06.57

I thought I would have a cheeky try and reverse the normals on the faces underneath to see it it would make the under layer invisible through the top veins.

Screen shot 2012-12-01 at 11.11.05

That didn’t work but it was worth a try, it just made the whole wing invisible.

Exporting the diffuse map as a tiff, because I used a alpha channel, it had an odd effect on the geometry of the model in the perspective view points of Maya. The whole geometry seemed to be transparent and I couldn’t figure out why, but I knew it was something to do with the alpha channels.

when added the alpha

After about 30 minutes trying to figure it out I thought I would see what it looked like rendered and it was fine!!! It didn’t transfer across to the render, so all was good.

In the end I just had to leave it as it was, but the result wasn’t a bad one.

Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 19.38.35

It had been a long battle with the wings but I finally reached an outcome I was happy with, its not as I imagined it or as good as it could be but it works.

Even though I didnt use the methods from my previous wing test, I did gain an understanding of layered textures and more about what can be done with different shaders.

Advertisements